December 26-30 (McCormick, SC)
Submission Fee: $40 (Discounted to $25 until May 19, 11:59 Eastern)
What's The Watering Hole Manuscript Coaching Fellowship? This is the 2nd Annual Manuscript Coaching Fellowship. The purpose of this fellowship is to give up to six unpublished poets guidance with their manuscript in progress. The poets will spend Dec. 26-30 in community with each other and under the guidance of one of our former TWH Retreat facilitators.
(This is not the application for the Winter Retreat.)
Manuscript Coach: Jericho Brown
This program includes
- Daily living room style classes focused on advanced aspects of manuscript preparation.
- Peer Review feedback on a full length manuscript
- An individual coaching session with the Manuscript Coach
- Access to all Winter Retreat events (including performance workshop, craft talks, readings, keynote, etc.). Fellows may also opt to spend this time revising their manuscript.
If you apply for this fellowship and do not get in, you will automatically be considered for The Watering Hole Writing Workshop.
What's the Applications Process? Submission Components:
- a Query Letter and
- a Manuscript of 10 pages here on Submittable.
If you need help with the basic query letter format, click here for sample outline. Do not include your name on this document. Judging will be blind. A Manuscript consists of Title Page + Table of Contents + Acknowledgement Page (for previously published poems) + Sample Manuscript (10 pages). Do not include your name on these materials. Judging will be blind. A poem may be multiple pages, but no more than one poem per page is permitted.
- Applicants must be 21 years of age by December 25th.
- Applicants cannot have a full-length collection either published or under contract for publication.
- Poetry must be original, not translations.
- All may apply. Preference is given to TWH Retreat Fellows and Graduate Fellows.
What's the Review Process? Applications are reviewed and accepted by The Watering Hole graduate fellows who have published at least one book. They have a vested interest in continuing to build TWH Tribe with a wide variety of talents, backgrounds, and aesthetics.
What if my Application is Accepted?
You'll need to send your deposit and turn in your full manuscript of 40 to 65 pages within 30 days of acceptance.
You'll find basic information at twhpoetry.org. When the time comes, The Watering Hole will send out information packets about carpooling, airport shuttles, housing information, online payment, etc. upon acceptance. The closest airport is in Augusta, G.A. and the last shuttle will likely leave the airport before 2:00 p.m. on Dec. 26.
August: Acceptance Letters go out
September: Accepted Manuscript Coaching Fellows submit payments and finalized versions of the manuscript:
- A query letter + the full version for peer review.
- Each fellow will review five peer manuscripts.
October: Manuscripts are shared along with preparation materials, shared reading list, pre-work, and peer review instructions.
December 15: Peer Reviews are due
December 26-30: Fellows meet in McCormick for the Manuscript Coaching Intensives.
- The Watering Hole sponsors between 50% and 75% (depending on the year) of every fellow's fees. The remaining cost is listed below.
- Within 30 days of acceptance, 50% of the fellowship fee is due. Within 60 days of acceptance, the remainder is due.
- All package options below include the cost of tuition, housing, facilitator fees, administrative expenses, and activities listed above.
Where Can I Find More Information and Link with Tribe Members?